Wow – I did not realize that Social Media Breakfast was so popular! Packed room and great presentation – all I was missing with early morning meetings at work 😉
Lee Odden gave us an insight into the industry and his company – a nice morning treat beside the usual staples of the event.
Content is the reason search began anyway
Content marketing evolution from Lee’s perspective:
- We need to create more content…
- We need to align the content with personas, customer journey, etc.
- We should not forget how people feel when they read our content
- How do we measure the result? How it helps us to make money?
- Scoop It – a tool that helps to discover and curate content for your efforts.
- Buzz Sumo – tool allowing to see how well content performs – quite interesting.
- Copy Blogger has some great content marketing-related content 😉
The conversation also touched on fantastic creative pieces of content that need to be promoted to realize their marketing potential. Content is a “product” that requires promotion.
What is a bad advice in the area of content marketing that might be floating in the industry right now? The idea that SEO is the purpose of content marketing. This is incorrect – content is for the reader – it is important to give the reader something useful and help to solve his or her problems. The best objective is to create value for the target audience.
New book to check: How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination (I liked the previous book of this author – this one is also available on Audible).
Modular content – Lee suggested thinking through how the content will be used in different channels in advance, rather than try to “modularize” it later.
A lovely expression related to content’s usefulness:
Give your audience something practical and tactical 🙂